5 Reasons Your Vagina Needs A Yoga Retreat
Ok, nobody's vagina NEEDS to go on retreat...but then again, nobody really needs to travel to the world to find themselves or do 100 vinyasas a day to find enlightenment, either. We practice because we know and value the benefits it brings to our daily life. Well, as a CYT and Doctor of Physical Therapy (PT) with a specialty practice in pelvic health I have found that together, yoga and PT can heal and radically improve the lives of patients and yogis alike...and I can tell you with professional certainty that your vagina is an important part of the Mind-Body-Spirit equation.
1. You may have VAGINA WOES you've been too scared to tell anyone about! Have you experienced pain with sex, irregular periods, painful periods, chronic constipation, or pain in the hips, back or pelvis? Do you find yourself peeing all day or making it to the toilet in just the knick of time? Do you experience leaking urine post-baby? Have you been diagnosed with repeated UTIs, yeast infections, interstitial cystitis, or painful bladder syndrome? Are you unable to have sex? Do you have difficulty achieving orgasm or feeling pleasure from your 'lady bits'? Have you given birth in the last few years and your body just isn't the same?
If any of these scenarios sound familiar, you could probably learn a little bit more about how the muscles, nerves, and fascia of the vagina (and more accurately the pelvis) could be contributing to your concerns. On the retreat I'll be giving in-depth talks about the pelvic floor's role in some of these conditions. I'll also be explaining what the PELVIC FLOOR actually is! I'll be discussing the role that hormones, gut-health, and stress can play in these health concerns and I'll be leading meditation and yoga classes geared specifically for maximizing yoni health.
2. Your VAGINA, VULVA, UTERUS, and OVARIES NEED NURTURING! The high-stress world we live in places huge demands on our female bodies, often requiring us to put our femininity and ownership of our bodies aside. Come indulge in this weekend focused on getting to know your most intimate and feminine aspects. I'll help you reconnect to your body through gentle yoga, creative exploration, meditation, nourishing food, and a community of like-minded women.
3. This could be your opportunity to de-bunk some vagina and pelvic floor myths. Join me to learn why KEGELS ARE NOT FOR EVERYONE, why you should always SIT DOWN WHEN YOU PEE, and why you shouldn't always be "pulling up and in" in those yoga and Pilates classes you're attending. For you yogis out there, we'll also be talking about the energetics and spiritual connections of the MULA BANDHA and the CHAKRA systems.
4. What part of your body wouldn't want to CHILL IN OJAI for the weekend? We'll be staying at the magical Calliote Canyon Retreat, a private home nestled in the mountains of Ojai. I love that the canyon will serve as the "bowl" where we will be reconnecting to our own pelvic bowls! We all managed to make it into this world through our mother's pelvises, what better way to reconnect to our own than in Mother Nature?
5. VAGINA OWNERS ARE PRETTY RAD. It's true... we are pretty incredible beings. What better way to celebrate how amazing we are by coming together to learn, grow, move, and create in community. We have a great group of women signed up already, however there are a few spots left if you'd like to join us! Check out casiedpt.com/retreats for more details.
Photograph by Scott Shigley.